Friday, August 28, 2009

Granola

I make my own granola. Which is like the ultimate hippie thing to do. But I'm not a hippie, I swear. But then I saw this recipe and knew I had to at least try it, since granola is so darned expensive. Rolled oats, on the other hand, only cost $.79 in bulk at the grocery store! As suggested in the blog, I don't follow the ingredients list too closely. Sometimes instead of agave I'll use maple syrup. This time I sprung for coconut oil instead of my usual canola and the result was very tasty. For fruit I generally follow the 4 Tbsp of fruit per cup of oats ratio, but I use whatever I have on hand - dried cranberries, dried blueberries and raisins made the cut for this batch. I use less flax than suggested, about 1 Tbsp per cup of oats, and I use half raw and half golden roasted flax seeds, just because they're delish. And I threw in a few Tbsp of sliced almonds and walnut pieces. I make a batch with 3 cups of oats and it lasts about a week, so I like to make it on Sunday nights while watching Big Brother and doing laundry so we have it for the week.

Start your day right with this granola and your favorite non-dairy yogurt or milk.



1 comment: