Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls


OMG these are my favorite thing to make. They take a bit of time - about two hours, but a full hour and a half of that is just letting the dough rise. Or, if you're like me and don't read the directions correctly, it's only an hour of rising time.

I basically follow the recipe from The Village Vegan, with some minor modifications. I don't use cardamom, because it's hella expensive, so I just leave that out. instead of baking them in muffin papers, I just put them in a greased muffin tin. They end up a bit unevenly shaped, instead of perfectly round, but that makes them into fun cinnamon roll muffins and avoids the dozen little paper circles on my coffee table, which is where I eat my desserts. And I didn't do the final sprinkle of pearl sugar, because I don't have any.

They're actually not sweet the way I'm used to cinnamon rolls being, but I like them better this way. If you like them sweeter, a simple icing of margarine, soy milk, powdered sugar and maybe some vanilla extract would make a nice glaze for the top.

6 comments:

  1. I'm definitely trying this one of these days. I'm sure my coworkers would appreciate it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will! If you can manage not to eat them all before getting to work. We probably ate half of the batch yesterday. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question: If these involve yoghurt, how are they vegan?
    Just wondering. It doesn't change the fact that I'll be making a batch of these tomorrow and probably consuming every last one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soy yogurt!! Eat vegan long enough and you'll just assume things like yogurt and milk imply soy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours came out much prettier than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We may have to make these when I visit... and when I say "may", I mean, "will". :o)

    ReplyDelete