Monday, August 17, 2009

Baked Ziti


Growing up I love, love, loved my mother's baked ziti. When I went vegan it was probably the thing I missed the most. Thanks to two of my favorite cookbook authors, Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero, and their insane Cashew Ricotta recipe, I am now able to create a reasonable facsimile of my mom's gooey masterpiece. It's lacking the stringiness of the mozzarella, but the flavor is all there. I mixed a recipe of the Cashew Ricotta with cooked pasta and a 28-oz can of Marinara Sauce from Trader Joe's. Yeah, I was going to make the sauce from scratch, but then I stumbled upon the perfect amount of sauce already made and couldn't resist. I grew up on jarred sauce, so to me it's not the travesty it might be to some people. Mixed all of that tastiness together in a casserole dish and threw it in the oven at 375 for about half an hour, until the top was nice and crunchy.

I ate it with some steamed kale since, apparently,
it's good to get some vegetables in my diet. Who knew?


4 comments:

  1. That.Looks.DELICIOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is kale actually good? I've never tried it, but even though I see it in recipes all the time, I'm a bit leery. I've never known someone to eat it, and my only contact with it was to feed the tortoises at the zoo...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like it raw, it hurts my belly, but I love to steam it and top it with a dash of Bragg Liquid Aminos. I've also put it in the oven (in an attempt to reheat) and it got crunchy, which was really fun. More fun than you'd think kale would be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to sautee kale! Yum!

    ReplyDelete