Thursday, October 22, 2009

Rice & Beans Chili



The chili in the photo and the one I’m going to write about are not the same. This recipe is a work in progress. It started in my head as rice & beans, because I wasn’t working and we were trying to keep our expenses low. So my thoughts for seasoning options soon merged with my constant thoughts on how to make a decent soy- and fake meat- free veg chili. My amazing husband really upped the ante with this version. I’m pretty sure we’ve got the entire thing written down. I hope so, because it needs to be replicated. Try it in your kitchen!


Rice & Beans Chili:

1 Onion, chopped

3 Cloves Garlic, chopped

Splash Olive Oil

1 (32 oz) can Diced Tomatoes

3 cups cooked Kidney Beans (or 2 cans, drained & rinsed)

1 Cup Brown Rice

1.5 - 2 Cups Veg Stock or Water

.5 - 1 Cup Brown Lentils

2 tsp fresh Ginger, minced

2 Dried Chilies, chopped

4 tsp Cumin

1 tsp Salt

1 tsp Chipotle powder

1 tsp hot sauce

2 tsp Chili powder

1 Tbsp brown sugar or molasses

Juice of 1 lime


- Heat oil in a large pan.


-Cook onion and garlic until fragrant.

-Add spices and molasses (not lime juice). Mix. Use a Tbsp or two of broth/water to deglaze the pan.

-Add beans and tomatoes, stir to combine.

-Add rice, lentils and broth/water.

-Cover and bring to a boil, then lower heat.

-Simmer for approximately 30 minutes, until rice and lentils are fully cooked.

-Squirt lime juice on top and serve.

I like to eat it with tortilla chips instead of utensils.

1 comment:

  1. I went to Kitchen 24 in Hollywood and got their Vegetarian Chili. I thought there was meat in it! I actually made the chef come out and talk to me. HA. Turns out they used Soy Sausage, try adding that if u want some extra flavor. Fooled me, Jim and his cousin.
    -Chelle

    ReplyDelete