Thursday, October 29, 2009

Give some love to pancakes



Pancakes are my favorite thing about the weekend. I love to wake up and whip up a batch - it gives me something to do until my husband wakes up and, if I play my cards right, will leave me with leftover pancakes to have one morning before work. I found this recipe online several years ago and while I can't find it again, I will reprint the directions here. Original pancake maker, please forgive me. I promise to add a link to the recipe if I ever come across that website again.

Easy Breezy Pancakes

2 and 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
2 and 1/2 Cups soy milk, rice milk, or water
(Optional: Dash of cinnamon, fruit of your choice)

Instructions:

- Lightly mix all ingredients in a fairly large bowl.

- Leave mixture 5-10 minutes to rise. It’s important only to mix the batter enough to moisten, as over-mixing will make the pancakes tough.

- Gently fold down; leave again for 5-10 minutes if you have the time, and gently fold down again. At this point your can add your fruit. My favorite is fresh strawberries and frozen wild blueberries (the tiny ones).

- Cook medium to medium-high on an oiled skillet (approx. 3 minutes each side for each side). Serve immediately.

Serves 4.

If you're feeling really sweet, you can use a heart-shaped cookie cuter to make little heart pancakes and french toast pieces for your honey on Valentine's Day, like I did in the photo. But even if you don't, they'll know you love 'em.

3 comments:

  1. Very true!! A giant pumpkin shaped pancake. Or a ghost. I would like to eat ghost-shaped pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these with almond milk also, and that works fine. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete