Tuesday, July 6, 2010

BeanBalls

One thing I miss since I've become a vegetarian is meatballs. I used to be all about meatballs. Couldn't have pasta with meatballs, and meatball subs were a great lunch/dinner to cook up.
I then found frozen fake meatballs, which were all well and good. And held me off for awhile. But I've really been trying to wean myself off of the processed junk, and that includes meat impostors.
And then, in a beam of light, I found this recipe a recipe in the Veganomicon. I won't have to go meatball-less again!



Here's my beanball recipe, altered a bit from the original:

1 can of white kidney beans
3 tbsp spaghetti sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp thyme

1. Mash the beans in a mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix with a fork.
2. Once thoroughly combined, roll into balls - smaller balls will hold their form better.
3. Place on a greased baking sheet (I usually use aluminum foil). Coat with a bit of olive oil spray. Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes.
4. When browned on the bottom, roll the balls over and bake for another 10 minutes.
5. Pour about 1/3 cup of more spaghetti sauce on top and roll the balls around. Bake for another 5 minutes.

Can be served immediately, or freeze for future meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment