Thursday, May 17, 2012

Zucchini Muffins

A friend found this recipe, altered it and passed it along to me. I altered it further and pass it along to you. I'm not kidding when I say it's out of this world. I made them yesterday and want to make more right now. Because she halved the recipe, it calls for 1 1/2 eggs, which is awkward. I used 1 egg, plus some Ener-G egg replacer. You could also probably do without it, since the applesauce will do some of the binding for you. Or double the recipe, which I think is the best suggestion.


Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1-1/2 eggs (or sub: 1 egg, 3/4 teaspoon egg replacer, and 1 tablespoon water)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup applesauce
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup grated zucchini (or a mix of zucchini and carrot - I used one of each and it was exactly one cup)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions
1. Grease muffin tins (I used mini muffins). Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

2. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. 
3. Sift in flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon, beat well.
4. Stir in zucchini, carrots and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes (for mini muffins) or 20-25 minutes (for regular muffins), or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan, and completely cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment