Friday, August 6, 2010

Wine of the Week - Albero 2007 Tempranillo Barrica

albero2007tempranillo

This is a Spanish wine, which I've never had before. The region isn't designated on the bottle, but the Tempranillo grape is purportedly indigenous to northern Spain.

The bottle notes that this wine is made with organically grown grapes, whatever that means.

On the nose, there was a peculiar funk - Limburger cheese or sweaty feet. I'm sure that sounds off-putting to most people, but I was actually thrilled to experience one of the most distinctive noses of any wine I've ever encountered. You have to remember that the nose of a wine does not necessarily predict the taste, nor does it indicate that the wine has gone bad in any way.

On the tongue, this wine was dry and high in tannins, with tastes of green olives and yellow onions. Surprising; not what I expect from red wines. A decent, enjoyable drink, but nothing I'd suggest running out to find.

13.2% alcohol

No comments:

Post a Comment