Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Texas Caviar

Today's recipe comes to us from guest contributor Dena...

texascav2

This has become my favorite snack of the summer. I was introduced to it at a Memorial Day picnic and have made it for every picnic since.

Ingredients
  • 1 can Black Eye Peas
  • 1 can Black Beans
  • 1 can Shoepeg (white) Corn
  • 1 jar Pimentos
  • 1 jar Jalapenos (chopped)
  • 1 medium red onion (chopped)
  • 1 cup chopped celery
I've started making a double batch, but only using one jar of jalapenos, as it can get quite hot.

Dressing


Recommended:
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
Heat in sauce pan on stove until sugar is dissolved.

I've lightened the dressing recipe to suit my taste (and Weight Watchers points value).

I use:

  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup Splenda
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
Combine all ingredients after draining and rinsing (and chopping, where instructed). Combine dressing and pour over veggie mixture. Stir well. Let sit, refrigerated, over night. Drain liquid before serving.

I've become fond of serving it with Stacy's Simply Naked Pita Chips, but have had it with Scoops, Sun Chips, well just about everything. The way I see it, the chips are just a way to get the Texas Caviar into my mouth. I have also used it as a sandwich topping, and a garnish for grilled chicken. Makes a great vegetarian snack too, although you need to watch the label of the black eye peas. I accidentally bought "prepared" black eye peas, which are made with meat stock and are not vegetarian-friendly. Sorry, mom! I'll be more careful next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment