Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fresh Farmer's Market Pizzas

Upon a trip to the local farmer's market with extra cash in hand and no shopping list, Joe and I came up with the grand scheme to make pita pizzas with farmer's market ingredients.



From the Greek stand, we bought fresh pitas. Right away, I could tell the difference between these pitas and store-bought. Much lighter and fluffier.

From the cheese man, we bought mozzarella balls made that morning, as he told us.

From other local farmers, we bought fresh tomatoes, peppers, and onions.

This was my first time making my own pizza sauce. I based my sauce off of one from AllRecipes.com but nixed the canned produce.

I chopped 2 cloves of garlic (from a previous FM trip) and heated it in a pot for a few minutes. I pureed one tomato, and chopped the other, and added that to the pot, along with some brown sugar and basil and oregano (not from the FM, but I'm in the process of growing my own herbs). I cooked the sauce for about 15 minutes and slathered on the pitas. Next time I do this, I'll probably use another tomato for more sauce, and drain some of the watery liquid after cooking.



On top of the sauce I added pieces of the fresh mozzarella and chopped veggies.
The result - a pizza soooo much better than my regular pita pizzas. So flavorful and soft.


To find a farmer's market near you, visit LocalHarvest.org

No comments:

Post a Comment