Thursday, December 1, 2011

My first curry



I'd been craving a coconut milk-based curry for months. Couldn't find a recipe that spoke to me. Then we replaced our broken slow cooker and I opened up my trusty Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker and there it was. While it doesn't taste as authentic as something you'd get at a restaurant, it totally does the trick. We ate it with brown rice.

Ingredients:
1 T peanut oil
2 carrots, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 T curry powder
1 t ground coriander
1/4 t cayenne
2 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
8 oz green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used frozen)
1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained (oops, I didn't drain mine!)
2 c veg stock
1/2 c frozen green peas, thawed
1/2 c canned unsweetened coconut milk
salt

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add carrots and onion, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, curry powder, coriander and cayenne, stirring to coat.

2. Transfer the vegetable mixture to your slow cooker. Add potatoes, green beans, chickpeas, tomatoes and stock, cover, and cook on low for 6-8 hours. (I cooked for 8.5 hours because I was started with frozen green beans and garbanzos and that's how long it was until dinner time)

3. Just before serving, stir in peas and coconut milk and season with salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment