Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thanksgiving potatoes part 1

This year, I was in charge of potatoes. My mom never made mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving, but I always think they're the perfect preparation, so I went to town. I followed the basic mashed potatoes recipe in Veganomicon and added a hell of a lot of roasted garlic, plus some chopped chives (both of which are suggestions in the book).

Ingredients:
4 pounds yukon gold potatoes
5 T margarine
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
2 t salt (I used 3, but found it to be a bit salty)
a sprinklin' of black pepper
1/2 - 1 clove of roasted garlic (depending on how crazy you are)
a handful of chopped chives

Directions:
Cut potatoes into 1-inch chunks (I peeled them, but it's a personal choice), put in a pot with cold/cool water. Boil for 15-20 minutes, until soft enough to mash. Drain the potatoes, reserving some of the water in case you need it. Put the potatoes back in the pot, add margarine, garlic and chives. Mash well. Add the rest of the ingredients and mash again until everything looks and tastes delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment