Friday, June 22, 2012

Wine of the Week - Big Basin 2009 Homestead


homestead2009red

I liked this wine when I initially tasted it, somewhere in the fourth quarter of last year.  But when I opened my own bottle of it recently, it didn't hold up to my first impression.

This is a blend of Grenache, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon.  I'm used to Grenaches having high alcohol content, but the flavor of the wine usually balances that out.  With the Homestead, the most overwhelming aspect of it to me was the alcohol.  I was feeling the heat in my mouth over any flavor.

When the flavors started asserting themselves in the finish, I mostly tasted black cherry.  But the black cherry mixed with the alcohol, along with the somewhat thick mouthfeel, ended up giving me the impression of cough syrup.

I'm sad to report all of this, by the way; because, as I said, my original tasting of this wine went much better.  Maybe something was wrong with my particular bottle, or with the way I stored it.  If the opportunity arises, I'd like to give this wine another try.  In the meantime, I can't recommend it.

14.8% alcohol


No comments:

Post a Comment