Thursday, June 14, 2012

Quinoa Salad... with Avocado?

The day before I came across this recipe, my husband and I were talking about how we needed a new quinoa salad recipe for the summer. And then this one fell into my lap. My intention was to use one or two avocados chopped up and mixed into the salad instead of served up in the cute, but very avocado-heavy way suggested in the recipe. Then I forgot. And it was still delicious. It also makes a crazy amount of food, so unless you're having company or bringing it to a potluck, I suggest halving the recipe. I used regular uni-colored quinoa with delicious results. Great as a side-dish or light meal.

Quinoa Stuffed Avocado
Ingredients:

2 cups tri-color quinoa, cooked
1/4 cup red onion, small dice
1/2 cup cucumber, small dice
1/2 cup tomatoes, small dice
2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 avocados, halved and pitted (less if you're chopping and adding to the salad)



Directions:
Prepare quinoa according to package directions.  Fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.  Mix in the red onion, cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro, olive oil, vinegar and salt.  Cut each avocado in half and gently scoop out of the shell, keeping it intact.  Scoop the quinoa salad into the center of each avocado or chop the avocado and add to the salad.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment