Friday, March 9, 2012

Wine of the Week - Senoria de P. Pecina 1998 Rioja


pecina1998rioja

As a relative wine amateur, this 1998 represents the oldest bottle I've ever had.  I was excited about that, not to mention the fact that I was already familiar with more recent Senorio de P. Pecina Riojas.

As soon as I uncorked it, I knew I was in for a treat.  Right off the bat, I was hit with huge, bold scents - big, juicy grapes, some strawberry, and a little bit of cheddar cheese underneath.

The taste was sharp and bright, full of flavor, nice and balanced.  Surprisingly, there aren't too many flavors in the middle palate.  But you'll taste blueberry and a lot of grapiness at the top and bottom.  Finishes tart.

This was a rare treat, and I ran out to buy another bottle right away.  I hope I get the chance to explore some older wines soon.

13% alcohol


No comments:

Post a Comment