Monday, March 26, 2012

Split Pea Soup

I hadn't had split pea soup in forever, so I looked up some recipes for it online. None seemed similar to the one my mom used to make, and they all called for ham hocks, which require de-boning. I used delicious bacon instead and used ideas from several recipes to formulate my own. It turned out great and was eaten up faster than any other soup I've made recently.

Ingredients:
1/4 stick butter
1 large chopped onion
3 stalks chopped celery
3 carrots chopped
1 1/2 cups green split peas
5 bacon strips, sliced
8 cups water
2 tsp marjoram
2 bay leaves
4 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 can evaporated milk

Directions:
In a stock pot, melt the butter and saute the veggies and garlic about 8 minutes.
Add the pork and spices. Stir 1 minute.
Add the peas, bacon, milk, and water.
Bring to a boil.
Simmer for 1 hour, 20 minutes.
Serve hot or store overnight in the refrigerator and reheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment