Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cold Beans and Collard Greens


Well… Collard greens, at least. I’ve always known about the existence of collard greens, but it never occurred to me to try them. And then one day my husband said, “We should make collard greens.” So we bought some and I figured I’d just sauté them with some garlic, the way I usually do spinach. And then while looking up another recipe in Veganomicon, I stumbled upon a recipe entitled “Sauteed Collard Greens.” It’s basically what I was planning on making, with the addition of leftover marinade from another recipe in the book. I didn’t make the other recipe in the book, nor did I have the ingredients on hand to make the marinade, but I did have leftover marinade from making some tofu the day before. Here’s more or less the recipe:

1 bunch of collard greens, leaves ripped into reasonable-sized pieces
3-5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1-2 Tbsp oil of your choice (olive, canola, or anything mild flavored)
 a few splashes each of: balsamic vinegar and soy sauce (or Bragg Liquid Aminos!)
and, if you have some on hand, a tiny squeeze of lemon juice

Heat up the oil in a big sauté pan, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Then add the greens and toss and cook until they start to wilt. Then add the other liquids (maybe two or three tablespoons total, or to taste). Let it cook until the greens are absolutely yummy.



No comments:

Post a Comment