Friday, August 31, 2012

Wine of the Week - STO 2011 Late Harvest Dolcetto

sto2011dolcetto
This is a thick, rich dessert wine from Sort This Out.  The first Dolcetto I've ever had, and I was impressed.
On the nose was mostly plum, with a hint of spicy pepperoni and scent that I could closest equate to worcestershire sauce.
When you taste it, expect all sorts of plum.  That's definitely the dominant flavor.  But there's complexity.  I tasted some raspberry and some cherry.  Very long, sweet finish, with sustained acidity.
This wine is a little on the young side, and a bit harsh, but I decanted it (with a stopper) for a day and it was great.  (Unstoppered, it would probably need three or four hours to decant.)
As a late harvest dessert wine, you know it's going to be heavy on the alcohol.  17.5% to be exact.

No comments:

Post a Comment