Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chocolate heart cakes

Happy post-Valentine's Day!

We celebrated with by dining in, and enjoyed a dessert from Care2.com - Chocolate beet cake.



I followed the recipe from the website pretty closely (but veganized to cut the fat/cholesterol). Someone mentioned in the comments on the site to use 4 beets instead of 3. I would agree. I used 3, and as the cake was baking, the aroma of beets filled the house. But once cooled, there wasn't much of a beet taste.

I poured the batter into a 9" x 13" baking dish and made it only about and inch deep. Since this was shallower than the recipe called for, I only had to bake it for about 25 minutes to prevent burning.

Once pulled from the oven and cooled, I used a large heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut cake hearts from the dish, and placed them on wax paper. I then poured melted chocolate chips over the cakes and tried to spread it evenly (I'm not too good at that). Topped it off with some Valentine sprinkles and set in the refrigerator to harden. Happy Valentine's Day to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment