Friday, April 27, 2012

Wine of the Week - Bella vs. Bella

Here's an interesting case: I recently took some tasting notes on a wine that I'd forgotten I'd already written about.  What an excellent opportunity to find out, completely blind, how I stack up against myself.  Is my palate consistent?


bella2008grigio

This is my original post about the Bella Cavalli 2008 Pinot Grigio.  I'd noted celery and grass on the nose.  In tasting, I said it hits you with a lot of sourness, giving way to a tart aftertaste.

This time around, I jotted down pear and lime on the nose.  A little bit different, but there are similarities worth pointing out.  In each case, there's something representing thin, watery scents as well as something sharp that hits the back of your sinuses.  Not bad.

On this tasting, I jotted down that I was getting something along the lines of worcestershire sauce, along with flower petals.  (I think that lines up nicely with my original "sour" note.)  I also noted tannins, which is something I said last time too, and which is something I generally don't expect in white wines.  So I'd say I've got a good batting average going here.

But ultimately, my final verdict was a perfect match.  In the original post, I said, "Not for everyone, but a good wine if it fits your personal taste."  In other words, it didn't fit mine.  This time around, I said, "Not my favorite, but plenty good for the right people."

If you're a fan of white wines, this one is perfectly well-crafted.  But if you're not a fan, this one won't convert you.

13.8% alcohol


No comments:

Post a Comment