Friday, October 14, 2011

Wine of the Week - AM/FM 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon


amfm2008cabsauv

I bought this bottle at the same time as last week's cab.  Between the two, I expected to enjoy the AM/FM more; the producer has made some of the best wines I've ever tasted.  Unfortunately, this one was a letdown.

Spicy black cherries on the nose with some strawberry underneath.

On tasting, the first thing that hit me was the alcohol, which is not a good sign.  Combined with dryness and bitterness, the experience was not going well.  There was a very slight strawberry taste in the mid-palate, but it was overwhelmed by a bitter finish.

Wanting to give it a second chance, I chilled the wine overnight.  Chilling it definitely dampers the alcohol taste, but you're still left with something a little too dry and bitter for my liking.

Look, I've had bad wines, and this one isn't bad.  But I can't recommend it, especially knowing what this producer is capable of.

14.5% alcohol

No comments:

Post a Comment