Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Frozen herbs

I've recently just introduced myself to the pleasures of frozen herbs.

On my personal blog, I've raved about my AeroGarden. I can grow three plants at a time with minimal care. Currently, I'm growing parsley, basil, and oregano. And let me tell you, there's nothing like fresh herbs in your meals.

Since, occasionally, the herbs grow faster than I can use them, I found a way to not let them go to waste - Freeze them!






You start off by tearing the leaves into small pieces. Put about one tbsp of the herb into an ice tray (I used AeroGarden's brand, but any tray will do obviously).
Using a super gentle stream, fill the tray with water. Be careful not to force the leaves out of the tray!
Let freeze at least overnight. Pop out of the tray whenever you need them.
Drop into your simmering soup. The ice melts away and you're left with your home-grown herbs!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I just used it to freeze some chunks of cooked carrot for El. Hopefully veggies survive as well as herbs.

    ReplyDelete